Saturday, April 12, 2008

Rule of law

Many of you are already coming here from the blogtastic and link-generous Bonnie anyway, but if not, you have to see her hilarious additions to my list of phrases that make a spanko take notice.

One item on her list is legal-sounding terms such as "corrective measures" or "punitive damages." This made me realize that there's a lot of spanking subtext brimming beneath the stiff, jargon-laded legalese of our courtoom system.

And really, aren't lawyers just a bunch of repressed spankos anway?

One of my play partners a while back was a personal injury lawyer--beautiful, early thirties, loved wearing her business suit, and loved being over my knee to have her bare bottom turned raspberry red. In fact, the real problem was trying to make the spanking stick as discipline. When she asked permission to masturbate (still over my knee with the spanks raining down), I'd have to say "No. Not until you receive 30 more spanks and count each one and don't squirm." That restriction, and the agonizing anticipation of thwarted release, seemed to help the matter sink in.

(And in case you think I don't live dangerously, have you ever thought about the potential personal ramifications of spanking a personal injury lawyer? Fortunately, she was only litigious in her professional life. Still, talk about making sure that you don't accidentally hit the tailbone...)

(By the way, that photo is not her. It's just a general representation of a kinky lawyer. Well, okay, that girl looks young enough that she's probably more likely to pass a candy bar rather than the actual bar, but look, work with me here.)

On the other hand, I also dated an immigration lawyer (who was also very religious) and we were doing the vanilla thing for months as she wasn't aware of my proclivities. Then I smacked her playfully once, and she said "Don't do that. That's creepy." I'm talking about a light touch, not OTK action. So much for the idea that every woman has a secret submissive side!

I think we can consider my experiences to be highly scientific and not all all anecdotal, and the conclusions are as follows: personal injury lawyers go into the profession because they have a bit of an affinity with certain kinds of injury; immigration lawyers need to loosen up.

I had a point to this post. Oh right! My point was that Bonnie deftly shows how the legal profession is rife with kink; you just have to know where to look. It's all in the subtext--in the ebb and flow of language and nuance.

As a silly example, take Julie Bowen's character on the TV show Boston Legal. She's a liberal who fell in love with (and is getting married to) a right-wing marine type. Why is that? The show doesn't spell it out--despite its numerous spanking references (something with which its star, James Spader, is of course completely unfamiliar)--but I think we all know why she'd fall for such a stern, no-nonsense complete opposite.

Have fun trying to sit down at the office from now on, Julie...

No comments: